Stop at the homes of Babe Ruth and his New York Yankees teammates. We will see the former residences of some of New York’s greatest personalities of the past, including George and Ira Gershwin, Arnold Rothstein, and Florenz Ziegfeld. Explore the architectural and historical stories of the buildings and monuments. Learn about Riverside Park and the development of the Upper West Side.This 2.5-hour walking and bus tour will take you from the General Grant National Memorial (Grant’s Tomb) to see many notable locations on the Upper West Side. Tour Highlights:
- See three apartments where home run king Babe Ruth resided;
- Visit the locations of the real-life inspirations for Citizen Kane: William Randolph Hearst & Marion Davies;
- Take pictures of beautiful National Historic Landmark homes;
- Learn about local writers as diverse as Dorothy Parker, Edna Ferber, and Edgar Allan Poe;
- Walk in the footsteps of famous bad girls Polly Adler, Anna Held, Evelyn Nesbit, and Lillian Russell;
- Finally learn the answer to the question, “Who’s buried in Grant’s Tomb?”
Not only will you get a taste of New York history, but you’ll also be on a wonderful sightseeing tour and stroll the streets of one of the most charming neighborhoods in Manhattan. It’s a great way to learn about the past and also see how little has changed in more than two hundred years.
This tour is designed for tourists, locals, families, and groups of friends. You’ll visit more than thirty locations and come away with a new appreciation for the area.