Walk in the footsteps of the legendary wits Franklin P. Adams, Robert Benchley, Heywood Broun, Marc Connelly, Edna Ferber, George S. Kaufman, Harpo Marx, Dorothy Parker, Harold Ross, Robert Sherwood, Alexander Woollcott, and the rest of the “Vicious Circle.” The tour explore the architectural and historical stories of the buildings and landmarks linked to them.
The tour begins and ends inside the world-famous Algonquin Hotel, a national literary landmark. This 2.5-hour tour encompasses twenty blocks to explore notable locations, inside and out. Tour Highlights:
* See the Theatre District and the landmark Broadway playhouses;
* Visit the locations of the former speakeasies of Rockefeller Center;
* Take pictures of Times Square and learn its history;
* See where the Round Table lived in Hell’s Kitchen during Prohibition;
* Learn about their 1920s friends such as F. Scott Fitzgerald;
* See where The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, and Vogue magazines began.
Not only will you get a taste of New York history, but you’ll also be on a wonderful sightseeing tour and stroll the streets of exciting neighborhoods in Manhattan. It’s a great way to learn about the past and also see how little has changed in more than two hundred years.
This tour is designed for tourists, locals, families, and groups of friends. You’ll visit more than thirty locations and come away with a new appreciation for the area.
The guide is Kevin C. Fitzpatrick. He is the author of The Algonquin Round Table New York: A Historical Guide (Lyons Press), A Journey into Dorothy Parker’s New York (Roaring Forties Press), and Under the Table: A Dorothy Parker Cocktail Guide (Lyons Press), among others. He’s president of the Dorothy Parker Society.